Steak Sandwich with Caramelized Red Wine Tomato Relish
By Sally James
Steak sandwiches are an Australian classic, usually enjoyed outdoors or on the beach, followed by a solid game of touch footy! I’ve brought this one a little up-market by caramelizing the tomatoes with some aromatic red wine – make sure you enjoy the wine with the dish too! For me, it will be the big jammy Mt Langi Ghiran Shiraz!
For: 4 portions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 4 7-8 ounce fillet or preferred steaks
- Baguette, arugula and soft goat cheese to serve
- Tomato Relish
- 1 basket cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Combine the oil, rosemary and zest in a flat bowl. Season the steaks and roll in mixture to coat. Allow to sit to bring to room temperature, then remove from oil mixture.
- Halve the tomatoes and toss with the sugar, salt and pepper. Place in a small pan with any remaining marinade and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add the wine and vinegar and cook for 2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Preheat a grill to medium high and grill steaks for 3 minutes each side for medium rare or until cooked as desired. Rest for 5-10 minutes, then slice thickly.
- Split the baguette, spread with the cheese, and fill with the beef, arugula and warm tomato relish. Enjoy straight away.
An elegant, delicious and healthy alternative to the hamburger, seasoned fillet of steak are sandwiched in a baguette with red wine caramelized tomatoes, goat cheese and arugula. Dinner, lunch or an outdoor barbecue!