Healthy, No-Hassle Creamy Ricotta Pasta with Artichokes
By Erin Clarke
Headnote: A luscious, creamy pasta that’s easy to make and good for you too! The secret is light ricotta cheese, which creates a rich-tasting sauce that is surprisingly low in calories. Made with whole wheat pasta, bright roasted bell peppers, and artichokes, this healthy 20-minute meal is sure to be your new weeknight favorite!
For: 4 portions
- 1 12-ounce whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 9-ounces frozen artichoke hearts thawed
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese about 2 cups
- 3 tbsp white wine, white balsamic, or champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic minced, about 4 cloves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red bell peppers drained and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp capers rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. With 2 minutes remaining in the pasta cook time, add artichoke hearts. Drain, then return the artichokes and pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, basil, mustard, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pour over pasta. Add sliced red peppers, capers, and parsley. Stir pasta gently to coat. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.