Make Ahead Freezer Meals
By Jennifer House MSc, RD
Make ahead freezer meals can be a lifesaver for busy families. We all have “those nights” when you just can’t cook a meal from scratch. Maybe you’re exhausted, were running around all day or just have whining kids hanging from each leg! Wouldn’t it be great instead of ordering out or having cereal for dinner, if you could pull a previously home-cooked meal out of the freezer?!
Once a week (likely a weekend when you may have extra hands at home), make an extra large batch or two of a freeze-able dinner. These will save you on those fight-nights! Here are some ideas of great meals to batch-cook and freeze for another night:
- Hamburger or veggie burger patties
- Enchiladas or burritos (any kind – chicken, veggie, beef)
- Cabbage roll casserole
- Slow cooker pulled pork or beef
- Butter chicken sauce
- Pasta sauce (tomato, chicken or beef)
Chicken & Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
¼ cup avocado or oil
500g ground chicken
½ cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tsp Thyme, fresh or dried
1 cup mushrooms, diced (or 1 can)
2 Tbsp parsley chopped
salt and pepper sprinkle
1 large sweet potato, diced and boiled or steamed until tender
¼ cup plain yogurt
½ cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In medium saucepan add oil, chicken, onion, garlic and thyme.
- Saute until meat is cooked. Add mushrooms, parsley and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into 8×8 baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash sweet potatoes and add yogurt. Season to taste. Top turkey mixture with mashed sweet potatoes and use spatula to smooth. At this point, you can pop it into the freezer.
- Bake thawed for 40 minutes or frozen for about 60-75 mins.
Jennifer House is a Registered Dietitian and owner of First Step Nutrition